Thursday, December 19, 2013

Guest List Week: Megan's Top Ten

[It's Guest List Week! We had so much fun with Guest List Week last year that we're hoping it becomes Guest List Month this time around. We've already got a bunch of great lists lined up, and we're looking for more. If you have opinions on the year in music, we'd love to hear from you. Previous Guest List Week posts are collected here. And, if you're looking for my 100 Songs for 2013, you can find it here.]





[Our fourth Guest List Week entry is also our third Michigan Wolverine, Megan Swidler! Great work, leaders and best. I'm not going to do a "Best Live Music Experiences of 2013" post but, if I did, Megan singing Prince songs with the band at our friends McKenzie and Curtis' wedding would absolutely be #1.]

1. Foals – “Providence”

Stumbled across them at Lolla mid-set. Was instantly a fan. At first listen this track is unsuspecting up til about halfway but then all of a sudden before you even realize its like BAM and you find yourself thinking “holy mothereffing crap I love music.”

2. Arcade Fire – “We Exist”

While I’m obsessed with the whole album I’ll just pick my favorite for the mini-list. It was a toss up between this track and “It’s Never Over (Oh Orpheus)” but in the end I’m a rocknroll girl and this one’s got the edge. Effortlessly brilliant is how I describe them as only they can be. LET EM STARE LET EM STARE!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Autre Ne Veut – “Play by Play”

Aaron you hit this one on the head. This song makes me happy like how Prince makes me happy and was probably my own personal “song of the summer.” 

4. Claptone – “No Eyes (feat. Jaw)”

Heard this one in a yoga class and I just hadddd to ask my teacher what it was. It’s a smoking hot track. It smolders. Hot. Love. This. Song.

5. Daft Punk – “Instant Crush”

“Get Lucky,” no doubt, is the bee’s knees but “Instant Crush” is the track that got into my blood directly through the vein as opposed to being absorbed through the GI tract (a nursing metaphor if you will). Julian Casablancas could not have been more perfect for the j-o-b.

6. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – “Sacrilege”

My favorite single that was released this year. I dunno, church choirs usually seal the deal for me and should be used more in the mainstream. A chill-inducing guitar riff doesn’t hurt either.

7. Nine Inch Nails – “Copy of a”

Say what you will, but Trent’s still got it. This one usually opens his live show and probably is the most reminiscent of the Downward Spiral days that I cherish so dearly.

8. Washed Out – “All I Know”

It’s dreamy, bubblegum, mindless, pretty, I dig it.

9. Dr. Dog – “Broken Heart”

Again, a great intro, a great riff. If I were to be in a band and write music I think we would put out stuff this kinda stuff. Fun song.

10. Atoms For Peace – “Amok”

How could I possibly have any sort of music related list without including my #1 squeeze, Mr. Thommy Thom Thom. This album wasn’t nearly as fabulous as The Eraser was but this particular track did exactly what I needed it to. Build and build and build and croooooooon and climax and fade out.

No comments:

Post a Comment